Regardless of your title or actual position, you’re always a leader in some way, and your decisions and actions will have an effect on other nurses, patients, family members, and visitors. Consider this statement as you respond to at least 2 of the following:
- In the positive outcome, how did Dena’s extra responsibilities reward her emotionally and professionally? What might she have sacrificed?
- What kinds of decisions led to a positive outcome? What kinds of decisions led to a negative outcome?
- How might previous reprimands affect Dena’s willingness to speak up? How much can leadership impact positive outcomes?
- How did Dena need to change her approach with each of the different colleagues and situations? Have you made adjustments in your approach to achieve positive results at work?
- How does the disposition of the physician affect a nurse’s ability to speak up? What would you do if the response was not as gracious as Dr. Green’s?
- How much of your job involves customer service? Is that stressful?
- What creative strategies do you use in dealing with difficult situations? Can you share an example?