Evidence-based nursing is a process founded on the collection, interpretation, appraisal, and integration of valid, clinically significant, and applicable research. It is not about developing new knowledge or validating existing knowledge, but rather translating existing evidence so that it can be applied to clinical decision making. This process starts with formulating a sound PICO question. PICO is a format for developing a good clinical research question prior to starting a review or research. It is a mnemonic used to describe the four elements of a sound clinical foreground question.
scenario: Jeff, a smoker of more than 30 years, has tried to quit unsuccessfully in the past. A friend of his recently quit with acupuncture. He wonders if he should try it.
read scenario and answer the following questions:
- What is evidence-based nursing practice and why is it important?
- What is the PICO process?
- Formulate a well defined clinical question that will yield the most relevant and best evidence.
- Describe the background of the question
- Present the question using PICOT format
- Indicate what will be the best study to answer the clinical question