Assignment: Study Guide Forum
Abnormal brain development or damage at an early age can lead to neurodevelopmental disorders. Within this group of disorders, some are resolvable with appropriate and timely interventions, either pharmacological or nonpharmacological, while other disorders are chronic and need to be managed throughout the lifespan.
For this Assignment, you will develop a study guide for an assigned disorder and share it with your colleagues. In sum, these study guides will be a powerful tool in preparing for your certification exam.
Photo Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
- Your Instructor will assign you to a specific neurodevelopmental disorder from the DSM-5.
- Research your assigned disorder using the Walden Library. Then, develop an organizational scheme for the important information about the disorder.
Create a study guide for your assigned disorder. (My assigned disorder is Kleptomania). Your study guide should be in the form of an outline with references, and you should incorporate visual elements such as concept maps, charts, diagrams, images, color coding, mnemonics, and/or flashcards. Be creative! It should not be in the format of an APA paper. Your guide should be informed by the DSM-5 but also supported by at least three other scholarly resources.
Areas of importance you should address, but are not limited to, are:
- Signs and symptoms according to the DSM-5
- Differential diagnoses
- Development and course
- Considerations related to culture, gender, age
- Pharmacological treatments, including any side effects
- Nonpharmacological treatments
- Diagnostics and labs
- Legal and ethical considerations
- Pertinent patient education considerations